Why work as a prison officer at HMP Bristol?
About HMP Bristol
HMP Bristol is an inner city, category B local prison.
With a capacity of 580, the prison accommodates adult men who:
- are on remand awaiting trial
- or serving short sentences
- and newly sentenced prisoners awaiting transfer to another prison.
Inside HMP Bristol
With a focus on reducing their risk of reoffending when they return to their communities, HMP Bristol provides prisoners with a range of learning and work opportunities, including:
- studying for a range of educational and vocational subjects in its dedicated education building opened in 2019
- working in a number of onsite workshops, learning skills such as bicycle maintenance and repair, plus horticulture and waste management
Preparing prisoners to return to their communities
Prisoners have access to an employment hub where they can get practical advice and support on job hunting and interview skills. With connections with local employers and specialist organisations such as the New Futures Network who employ ex-prisoners, HMP Bristol also gives prisoners opportunities to get an insight into different industries and meet potential future employers.
To help with their resettlement, prisoners can also access advice on a range of subjects such as housing and debt and finance management.
HMP Bristol has a number of outdoor spaces for use by prisoners and staff, including new community gardens and the harmony garden which provides space for personal reflection.
- a new colleague mentor who supports all new officers when they first start
- support from a multi-discipline staff care team
- use of a free onsite gym
- excellent training and progression opportunities
How to get to HMP Bristol
HMP Bristol is just off the Gloucester Road and a short drive from Bristol town centre. With excellent road links, it is easily accessible from Bath, Stroud, Western-Super-Mare and surrounding areas. It’s also just 30 minutes from the Severn Bridge, so easily commutable from South Wales.
With Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway train stations just 3 and 4 miles away, and all buses from the central bus station passing the prison, HMP Bristol is easily reached by public transport.
Find HMP Bristol on a map (opens in a new tab).