Why work as a prison officer at HMP Bullingdon?
About HMP Bullingdon
Five miles outside the historic market town of Bicester in Oxfordshire, HMP Bullingdon is a local resettlement prison with a capacity of 1,100.
It accommodates men at the start of their time in custody and as they prepare to transition back to their communities. It also supervises people on short sentences (under 12 months) and individuals on remand.
Inside HMP Bullingdon
HMP Bullingdon is a busy prison, with prisoners arriving and leaving every day.
Making positive changes
On arrival, each prisoner is quickly assessed to determine what support they need to help them get the most out of their time in custody and to reduce their chances of reoffending.
This includes helping them learn new skills to increase their employability. One of HMP Bullingdon’s main aims is that all prisoners have a job to go to when they return to their communities.
Learning new skills
Prisoners have access to a wide range of education, training and work opportunities, including:
- studying for qualifications in basic skills such as English and Maths, and distance learning through the Open University
- training in a range of trades and professions such as printing, industrial cleaning, information and communications technology (ICT) and business skills
- working in one of the onsite prison workshops or learning grounds work and horticultural skills in the prison gardens
As an employee of HMP Bullingdon, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits including:
- use of a free onsite gym
- free onsite parking
- excellent training and career progression
- occupational health services, including physiotherapy and counselling support
This is in addition to the great benefits you get from being a part of HM Prison and Probation Service.
How to get to HMP Bullingdon
With plenty of on-site parking, HMP Bullingdon is just 5 miles from Bicester and a 30-minute drive from Oxford.
There’s a regular bus service from Bicester station and taxis available outside the station.
Find HMP Bullingdon on a map (opens in a new tab)