Why work as a prison officer at HMP Wealstun?
About HMP Wealstun
HMP Wealstun is a category C men’s training and resettlement prison that accommodates 832 prisoners.
Three miles from the historic market town of Wetherby in Yorkshire, the prison provides a range of opportunities for individuals to learn new skills to help them make positive changes in their lives.
Inside HMP Wealstun
HMP Wealstun provides prisoners with a range of opportunities to use their time constructively while in custody.
To improve their chances of employment when they return to their communities, prisoners have access to a wide range of education, training and work opportunities, including:
- formal education courses provided by Manchester College
- vocational training in industrial cleaning, catering and construction
- employment in onsite production workshops
Working with employers
HMP Wealstun works in partnership with a range of employers to help prisoners find work when they’re released from prison:
- through its onsite employment hub, prisoners have an opportunity to meet employers to talk about potential job opportunities
- charity Food Behind Bars (opens in a new tab) provides training for prisoners in an onsite bakery, plus opportunities for them to apply for jobs at a local bakery when they leave prison
Offending behaviour programmes
To help prisoners tackle the behaviours that led to their offending and take positive steps to change, HMP Wealstun provides a range of rehabilitation programmes. These include:
- an innovative project in association with Leeds Rhinos Foundation and the West Yorkshire Violence Reduction Unit that harnesses the power of sport and value-based workshops for domestic violence perpetrators
- drug and alcohol awareness programmes
As an employee of HMP Wealstun, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits, including:
This is in addition to the great benefits you get from being a part of HM Prison and Probation Service.
How to get to HMP Wealstun
With plenty of on-site parking, HMP Wealstun is only 3 miles from Wetherby and just over 30 minutes by car from Harrogate, Leeds and York.
The nearest train stations are Leeds and York. There’s also a regular bus service to Wetherby from Leeds and Harrogate.
Find HMP Wealstun on a map (opens in a new tab)
A word from the Governor
We have a fantastic team of staff at HMP Wealstun and they do incredible work every day.
Prison officers play an essential role in making a positive impact in vulnerable people’s lives. Working as part of a close-knit and supportive team, all helping to rehabilitate prisoners and reduce reoffending, is what makes this challenging, but rewarding, job so important.
This job isn’t just about locking and unlocking doors – prison officers play an essential role in changing the lives of those in custody. That’s why it’s so important that we have officers from all backgrounds who can be positive role models for the prisoners here.
This is an opportunity for you to invest in your future. The role can be challenging, but it can also be rewarding, and there’s no shortage of support and guidance.
– Diane Lewis, Governor, HMP Wealstun