HMP Berwyn is committed to providing a safe and educational environment where men can learn new skills to help them when they leave custody.
Based on a campus design, at HMP Berwyn’s centre is an industry building housing 12 workshops where men make products such as furniture, or work in the on-site call centre or DHL distribution centre. Individuals can earn qualifications in areas such as manufacturing operations and customer service, while working.
A state-of-the-art resettlement hub provides an opportunity for individuals to meet work coaches and access training to prepare them for employment. Training in a variety of trades and professions including bricklaying, joinery, plastering and industrial cleaning is available. Plus, men have access to a range of vocational qualifications such as digital media, business enterprise, and information and communications technology (ICT).
HMP Berwyn’s men also have access to a broad programme of learning opportunities – from basic skills such as literacy, Welsh and numeracy, to vocational qualifications and higher learning.
As an employee of HMP Berwyn, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits including:
• opportunities for paid over-time
• free, onsite parking
• use of a free, onsite gym
• excellent training and career progression pathways.
Working as a prison officer comes with a range of attractive benefits, including:
• 25 days’ annual holiday (rising to 30 days after 10 years’ service)
• generous maternity leave cover
• cycle to work scheme and travel loans
• property rental deposit loans which allow you to borrow some of your salary upfront to pay a deposit on a property
• access to keyworker housing schemes
• employee assistance programmes.
*As a prison operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you will need to work on some public and Bank holidays. Any that you do work will be added to your annual leave entitlement.
With plenty of on-site parking, HMP Berwyn is an 8 minute drive from Wrexham, and just 15 miles from Chester.
The prison is 4 miles from Wrexham General and Wrexham Central stations. A number of local buses also run past the prison.