Why work as a prison officer at HMP Whitemoor?
About HMP Whitemoor
HM Prison Whitemoor is a high security prison near March, a market town in Cambridgeshire. It holds 458 category A and category B adult male prisoners who are mostly serving long sentences.
Working at HMP Whitemoor is an excellent way to start your career as a prison officer, because:
- working with people who are in custody for a number of years will give you more opportunities to build rapport with individual prisoners, and have a positive impact on them
- you will gain a wealth of experience that you might not get in a lower category prison due to the complex prisoners you will be working with
- you will get to use and build on all the skills you learnt in your initial training, including ways of managing risk that are specific to high security prisons
HMP Whitemoor is currently the only prison that holds an employer recognition award from the Ministry of Defence for the work it does to support Armed Forces veterans.
Inside HMP Whitemoor
As well as wings for the main prison population, HMP Whitemoor also has:
- a designated wing for prisoners with personality disorders
- a close supervision centre that provides a more controlled and highly supervised environment for more disruptive and high-risk prisoners
Purposeful activities to reduce reoffending
Prisoners are encouraged to engage in purposeful activities to make the most of their time in custody and address some of their reasons for offending. These include:
- vocational training in fields such as painting and decorating, and plastering
- studying for qualifications in a wide range of subjects, from basic English and Maths, through to higher education courses via the Open University
- work opportunities in the prison kitchen, laundry and recycling workshop
- access to a range of psychological interventions to address reoffending triggers such as substance misuse and anger issues
Opportunities to specialise and progress
Once you’ve completed your training and probationary period as a prison officer, you’ll have a wide range of opportunities to specialise at HMP Whitemoor.
Specialisms include working in one of the therapeutic units, alongside partner organisations such as the NHS and charities who support some very complex prisoners. Or you might choose to train for one of the following roles:
- dog handler
- physical education instructor
- intelligence analyst
- dedicated search officer
There are also a range of progression opportunities.
There are a number of outdoor garden spaces within the prison complex that staff can use during their break times. Plus, behind the prison, there’s a 74 acre nature reserve with a World War 2 memorial built and maintained by prison staff.
As an employee of HMP Whitemoor, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits including:
- use of free onsite gym facilities both inside the prison and within the prison grounds
- extensive free onsite parking
- access to a range of wellbeing services and staff support networks, including those for people with protected characteristics
- excellent training and career progression opportunities
This is in addition to the great benefits you get from being a part of HM Prison and Probation Service.
How to get to HMP Whitemoor
With plenty of onsite parking, HMP Whitemoor is a 40 minute drive from Peterborough and King’s Lynn.
The nearest station, with a regular train service from Peterborough, is March.
Find HMP Whitemoor on a map (opens in a new).