Supporting your growth
We’ll make sure you have the training you need to do your job well.
We have dedicated learning and development to help you engage with people on probation in the best, most effective way.
As a probation services officer, you’ll have many opportunities to develop in your role, to make it the first step in a successful career in the Probation Service.
In your first months, you’ll receive a blend of formal and work-based training. You’ll be supported by your team throughout, and you’ll be there for them in turn. But you’ll go beyond being collaborative: you’ll be flexible too, adapting to changes as they arise and working fast to resolve problems.
Year one training
- a comprehensive induction, including the Gateway to Practice, which is the first step on your learning journey
- the learning and development programme is a blended learning package designed to equip you with the skills and knowledge required for the role
- mapped out learning and development
- supervised and assessed practice
Career development opportunities
- opportunity to join the probation service officer progression pathway and undertake the Professional Qualification in Probation (PQiP) to become a fully qualified probation officer
- secondments across the Ministry of Justice
- Civil Service Fast Stream
- continuous professional development training