A mile outside the historic market town of Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, HMP Aylesbury is a category C training prison.
With a capacity of 402, it accommodates adult males aged 21 and over.
Watch our video to hear from HMP Aylesbury’s prison officers what their work is like.
To reduce their risk of reoffending when they return to their communities, prisoners at HMP Aylesbury engage in a range of purposeful activities while they’re in custody:
• Run in partnership with Milton Keynes College, the prison offers full and part-time education courses in a range of subjects including English and Maths, hospitality, personal and social development, plus access to distance learning further education qualifications.
• Prisoners can also study for vocational qualifications in barbering, construction and industrial cleaning.
• Individuals who are interested in physical education can work towards a number of nationally recognised awards such as The Duke of Edinburgh and Twinning Project that’s run in partnership with Wycombe Wanderers.
• There are also a number of work opportunities for prisoners, including in the onsite laundry, gardening, horticultural and waste management workshops. There’s also a prison radio station which plays programmes created by prisoners.
With a focus on prisoners’ psychosocial wellbeing, HMP Aylesbury run a number of Offending Behaviour Courses focusing on topics such as anger management, drug and alcohol dependency and sex offending.
To help them prepare to return to their communities, prisoners are able to access advice and information on topics such as: interview skills and CV writing, setting up bank accounts, online job searching, and finding accommodation.
As an employee of HMP Aylesbury, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits including:
• free onsite parking
• use of free, onsite gym facilities
• a staff mess (canteen)
• excellent training and career progression pathways
Working as a prison officer comes with a range of attractive benefits, including:
• 25 days’ annual holiday (rising to 30 days after 10 years’ service)
• Civil Service pension of up to 20% of your salary
• generous maternity leave cover
• cycle to work scheme and travel loans
• tenancy loan agreements
• access to keyworker housing schemes
• employee assistance programmes.
One mile from Aylesbury, HMP Aylesbury has good road links and ample onsite parking for staff. It’s just 40 to 50 from Milton Keynes, Watford, Oxford and Luton, and just over an hour from Reading.
The are also good train links into Aylesbury station which is a 15 minute walk or short bus or tax ride to HMP Aylesbury.
Take your next step to a rewarding career and start your prison officer application today.