Someone like you
Make a positive impact on young lives. Develop a career working with 15 to 18 year olds and help them towards better futures.
This role is for you if:
- you are passionate about helping young people, acting both as a mentor and a figure of authority
- you can understand and connect with children and young people from all backgrounds and situations, including those who have committed serious crimes, grown up in difficult settings or have mental health concerns
Working with children and young people in custody can be tough. They can be impulsive, in your face and test boundaries at every level.
You’ll need to make quick but effective decisions. You’ll also need patience and resilience.
You’ll be responsible for ensuring the security and safety of children and young people, and supporting them day-to-day in a custodial environment.
Each shift you’ll work with children and young people supporting them to manage their behaviour and attend education, training and activities.
You’ll get the training and development you need to understand the individual circumstances for children and young people in custody, and how to react in complex or dynamic situations.
Youth justice worker – an extraordinary job. Done by someone like you.
- No qualifications needed
- Starting salary of £33k to £38k for a 39 hour week
- You need: team-working skills and to be able to connect with people from all backgrounds
- Must have good eyesight, hearing and be reasonably fit
- Training for every situation
- Gain a fully funded level 4 child-focused qualification
Pay and benefits
Your pay depends on where you work in England, plus your weekly shift hours.
You’ll start on a 37 hour contract until you have completed your initial training. After this you can choose to increase to 39 or 41 hours a week until you complete the level 4 qualification.
You can also earn more if overtime is available in your Young Offender Institution (YOI). Plus you’ll enjoy one of the best pension schemes in the UK and a range of great Civil Service benefits.
|Location||Band 3 youth justice worker |
(39 hour week including 20% unsocial hours allowance)
(HM YOI Feltham)
|South and South East|
(HM YOI Cookham Wood)
(HM YOI Wetherby,
HM YOI Werrington)