Five miles from the market town of Rugby in Warwickshire, HMP Onley is a category C prison, also known as a training prison. Accommodating up to 700 prisoners, the prison provides a range of education and training opportunities for men to increase their chances of employment when they return to their communities.
Watch our video to hear from HMP Onley prison officers what the role is really like:
HMP Onley is committed to providing a safe and educational environment where men can learn new skills to help them when they leave custody.
Prisoners are offered either full-time or part-time education covering numeracy, literacy and information technology (IT), in line with the National Curriculum. Support is also provided for prisoners who wish to study for National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs), distance learning courses, and other qualifications.
The prison also provides training in catering, fork-lift truck driving, gardening, contract work, kitchen work, industrial cleaning and recycling.
HMP Onley has a Halford’s Academy (bicycles), a Halfords Auto Centre (cars) and contact centre which all have the potential to offer prisoners employment when they return to their communities.
As an employee of HMP Onley, you’ll have access to a range of facilities and employee benefits including:
• opportunities for paid over-time
• free, onsite parking
• use of a free, onsite gym
• employee wellbeing days
• excellent training and career progression pathways.
Working as a prison officer comes with a range of attractive benefits, including:
• 25 days’ annual holiday (rising to 30 days after 10 years’ service)*
• generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave
• cycle to work scheme and travel loans for season tickets
• property rental deposit loans which allow you to borrow some of your salary upfront to pay a deposit on a property
• access to keyworker housing schemes run by local housing authorities
• employee assistance programmes which offer counselling, support and information on a wide range of topics.
• a range of discounts, including the Blue Light Card Scheme
*As a prison operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, you will need to work on some public and Bank holidays. Any that you do work will be added to your annual leave entitlement.
HMP Onley is easily accessible from the M45, and just five miles from Rugby. With plenty of on-site parking, it’s a 37 minute drive from Northampton, and 26 minutes from Coventry.
A regular train service runs into Rugby which is a 20 minute taxi ride away from the prison.